One of the hardest things about being sugar-free – apart from being the weirdo who says no to chocolate cake at a birthday party – is that you can’t eat awesome sugary foods like ice-cream.
Ice-cream, the soft, white dairy treat that makes Australian summers enjoyable. Oh how I had taken for granted the delicious component in milkshakes and iced coffees in my care-free* sugar-free days!
*Care-free sugary days also included the following ailments which I have since disappeared in the odd four months I’ve kicked the sugar addiction: frequent tummy problems that lasted for days, being constantly hungry and over-eating…
But thanks to a little sugar-free book called Hungry Tums by Di Heath I have been able reunite with ice-cream that is just as delicious as the store bought stuff. Below is the yummy recipe, republished with permission by Di.
It’s not hard but make sure you factor in the time you have to wait for the ice-cream to freeze otherwise you’ll be like me and staying up past your bed-time, but it’s totally worth it! You don’t need an ice-cream maker but you will need a blender or a mixer.
This recipe contains dextrose. Dex-Whaaa? Dextrose is the natural sweetener (glucose) used in the ice-cream, it contains no fructose which is the addictive ingredient in sugar. Dextrose can be found in the brewers section of Big W for about $3 a kilo or in Health Food stores. If you’re still a bit freaked out by the substance some more info can be found here as well as some info on artifical sweeteners.
Preparation: 10 mins plus 1 hour in freezer, then another 5-20 mins to churn and another 2-4 hours (or overnight in the freezer)
Makes: approx. 1.5 Litres
1/3 cup dextrose
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
½ cup full cream milk
2 cups thickened cream.
THE FUN PART
- Beat/whisk eggs, dextrose and vanilla together on high speed until mixture is thick and pale (about 5 mins).
- Add milk slowly while beating in low speed. Once all milk is in, beat on high for 1 minute.
- Add cream slowly while beating on low speed, until just combined.
- If you have an ice cream churn/maker, then refrigerate ice-cream mixture for at least an hour before churning. Church for 15-20 mins then transfer mix to suitable container (old ice-cream container and freeze until set.
- OR if you don’t have an ice-cream churn/maker then transfer mixture to a suitable freezer container and freeze until almost set (about I hour) then transfer mixture back to bowl and beat again for 2-5 mins then transfer mix to ice-cream container and freeze until set.
Hungry Tums is available through the Facebook page for $10. I’m currently working my way through the recipe book with much joy!